RELIGIOUS & SOCIETIES:

Canneto Colony of Saints ~ Los Angeles 

The Society of Canneto was organized by a group of natives from Canneto in January 1934 for the principal end of honoring, by means of their annual celebrations and charitable undertakings, their patron saints Maria Santissima della Stella and San Vittoriano.

In 1912, Nicola Carlucci and his wife, Francesca, sought to bring a statue of Our Lady Madonna della Stella from Canneto so that the Cannetani of Los Angeles might also venerate her feast. On January 15, 1936, Mrs. Domenica Gianello and Vincenza Ferrante planned the formation of a society under the patronage of Madonna Santissima della Stella, “Protettrice” of Canneto, Bari.

The cult of San Vittoriano goes back to 1753 when a small coffin containing the sacred bones of San Vittoriano arrived in Canneto. The sacred remains were brought from Napoli by two Cannetani who had received the sacred relics from the Girondi. San Vittoriano’s body was taken to the Cathedral of La Madonna della Stella as a reward to the piou citizens of Canneto. The feast of the transfer of relics is celebrated yearly by the Cannetani on the last Sunday of July.

The Canneto Colony of Saints Society and the many Cannetani residing in Los Angeles have supported Saint Peter’s Italian Catholic Church since 1936 and will continue to be supportive of the needs of the Parish.

ICF_Branch #67 ~ Los Angeles

ICF Branch #67 continues the vision of the Federation to bring people together to value their faith and religiosity with much pride for our culture and traditions. The branch #67 is also popular for its Polenta Dinner which usually fills the hall of Casa Italiana with many connoisseurs of Italian culinary art and especially the Polenta.

This dinner is a fund raiser and the money collected will be devolved to benefit organizations for research in the medical field and for many other cultural events, plus grants, prizes, charities and much more. Italian Catholic Federation holds its general meeting at Casa Italiana once a month.

Knights of Columbus ~ San Gabriel Valley

The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic, Family, Fraternal service organization. 1.7-million Catholic men are active members of the Order in nearly 13,000 local councils. Over 70,000 members in California serve the Church in 550 local councils. The San Gabriel Valley Chapter is a coordinating body for 31 councils in the San Gabriel Pastoral Region of the Los Angeles Archdiocese.

In 1882, Father Michael J. McGivney gathered a small group of parishioners in St. Mary’s Church in New Haven, Conn. His purpose was to establish a group of men, united in their faith and to provide for Catholic families in times of need. This was the beginning of the Knights of Columbus.

Guided by the principles of charity, unity, and fraternity members of the Knights of Columbus work to overcome the hardships that people face in their parishes and communities. We are a growing organization – more than 1.9 million members – and for over 130 years have committed to overcome the challenges of the need for food, shelter, warm clothing and financial security, as well as provide aid for widows and orphans in our local communities.

Joining your local council of the Knights of Columbus can change your life. As a Knight, you have the opportunity to strengthen your parish, give back to your community, grow in your faith and gain exclusive access to our portfolio of top-rated insurance products to financially protect your family. Councils conduct many programs that support your parish and community including:

Various prayer and Eucharistic adoration programs
Participating in the Coats for Kids and Food for Families programs
Encouraging vocations to the priesthood and religious life

Lady of Mount Carmel ~ Los Angeles 

Our Lady of Mount Carmel is the title given to the Blessed Virgin Mary in her role as patroness of the Carmelite Order. The first Carmelites were Christian hermits living on Mount Carmel in the Holy Land during the late 12th and early to mid 13th centuries.

They built a chapel in the midst of their hermitages which they dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, whom they conceived of in chivalric terms as the “Lady of the place.” Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is also the patron saint of Chile.

Maria SS di Costantinopoli ~ Los Angeles

Maria SS di Costantinopoli, St. from the region of Puglie in Italy, has been honored for over a century with three-day festivals by the people of Bitritto. Since 1935, the event has been celebrated in Los Angeles by a group of Italian immigrants from Bitritto on the Sunday following the first Tuesday of March.

Today, as strong as it was then, our Society takes pride in continuing this traditon by celebrating our Blessed Mother with a traditional procession followed by festivities including a dinner (prepared by volunteers) and dance. Our society, thanks to the generosity of our members and friends, has helped in the establishment of Saint Peter’s Church by financially supporting the construction of the dinner hall, donating the tower bell, the downstairs Mirror Room, the construction of Villa Scalabrini center for seniors, and many more ongoing projects.

Maria SSma. Di Costantinopoli Society, while preserving our tradition, is committed in the rejuvenation of the Casa Italiana and will continue supporting the growth of Saint Peter’s Church, the cultural center for Italian Americans in the Los Angeles area.

Mother Cabrini Chapel & Library ~ Burbank

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini), a co-patron saint of the Italian Catholic Federation, was born in Sant’Angelo Lodigiano in the province of Lombardy, northern Italy, on July l5, 1850. She was a major benefactor for Italian immigrants in the U.S.

By the time of her death in 1917, Mother Cabrini had established 67 schools, hospitals and orphanages throughout the U.S., South America and Europe, and her order numbered in the thousands. She is the first naturalized US citizen to be declared a saint (July 7, 1946).

Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini came to San Fernando Valley, California in the late 1800s. In 1880, she founded the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart which then built the Villa Cabrini Academy. In 1917, Mother Cabrini built a small chapel in honor of the Blessed Mother above Villa Cabrini Academy, atop Mount Raphael, for the residents of the San Fernando Valley. The chapel was said to protect their crops and shelter the residents from the ravages of fire. During the war, it also served as a beacon to pilots. Mother Cabrini made daily mediation visits to the chapel while overseeing a new academy for girls.  For decades, the chapel attracted thousands of pilgrims who made the steep climb every December to honor St. Cabrini and prayed to the woman who was consumed with the love of God and worked tirelessly “for the greater glory of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus,” the motto she chose for the Missionary Sisters.

In 1970, the land on which the chapel was built was sold to a developer. However, members of the Italian Catholic Federation in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles raised money to rescue the chapel and moved it down the mountain in 1973 to St. Francis Xavier Church in Burbank where they later restored it with stained glass windows, a mosaic of St. Cabrini, new tile, and more. Fr. William C. O’Connor, St. Francis Xavier Church pastor and San Fernando Valley District ICF Chaplain at the time, headed the renovation committee. Many hours of planning went into the project and many donations were made in the form of construction-related labor and historical artifacts for the collection. A formal dedication ceremony of the restored chapel was held on the grounds of St. Francis Xavier Church on Sunday, September 14, 1975.  A library sponsored by the ICF was built under the direction of ICF Branch 102 member Orlando T. Granata in 1993. Mr. Granata also supervised the moving of the chapel to its new location on the St. Francis Xavier Cabrini Church property. The library contains historical and contemporary works about the immigrant saint, and adjoins the Chapel. Today, the Chapel and Library collectively form a Shrine in St. Frances Cabrini’s honor.

Today, the Mother Cabrini Shrine is located behind St. Frances Xavier Church, 3801 Scott Road, Burbank, California.  In keeping with tradition, an ICF Pilgrimage to the Mother Cabrini Shrine is still held on the first Sunday in December of each year and begins at St. Francis Xavier Church. All ICF branches, parishioners and affiliated Saint Francis Mother Cabrini Groups in the Southern California area are encouraged to join the Pilgrimage. Those who have difficulty walking are welcome to join in the Pilgrimage by using automobiles to drive across the church grounds to the location of the Shrine.  In addition to the annual December Pilgrimage, the Mother Cabrini Shrine is open between 9:00am – 1:00pm every 2nd Sunday of February, April, June, September, and November, or by special appointment.

Sacred Heart of Jesus Society ~ Los Angeles 

The society was re-established in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, by a group of ladies from the town of San Polo Matese, Province of Campobasso, Molise, Italy. In re-establishing this society we hope that the current members and future generations will continue to dedicate their time and love to the future of our society.

The Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was a major fest in their hometown in June and they wished to continue the same tradition at St. Peter’s Italian Church. The founder, Maria A. D’Egidio, and co-founder, Clara Iezza, in 2003 campaigned family members and families from the same hometown for their interest and support. They all agreed that the society be formed with the assistance of Fr. Giovanni Bizzotto. The society was re-established in June 2003 with the first feast on June 20, 2003.

The society will enable the elders to continue their much loved tradition and to pass it on to their children and future generations.

The mission and tradition of Famiglia del Sacro Cuore di Gesu’ Society is to promote the devotion of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and to provide financial support to St. Peter’s Italian Church and any organization in need of financial aid. Members of the society attend the first Sunday of the month Mass and provide flowers to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Saint Padre Pio Society ~ Los Angeles

St. Pio of Pietrelcina was a Capuchin Priest from Italy who is venerated as a Saint in the Roman Catholic Church. He was bornFrancesco Forgione, and given the name Pio when he joined the Capuchins; he was popularly known as Padre Pio after his ordination to the priesthood. He became famous for his stigmata among many other things.

This is also the newest of all the societies tied to the Saint Peter’s Italian Church in L.A., and as all the others the Saint Padre Pio Society is oriented to venerate the most world wide popular Capucin Monk.The goal is to pray for everyone’s benefit. Twice a month the members riunite together to recite the rosary. Once a month a general meeting is held for everyone whishing to be involved. Its annual celebration recurrs in the month of September of every year, besides other events. The Saint Padre Pio Society is also involved in fund raising to benefit the Casa del Sollievo Hospital in Foggia Italy, for the research for cures against cancer. The Society is also instrumental in the St.Peter’s Church Outreach program to help and feed the needy.

San Trifone Society ~ Los Angeles

San Trifone Spociety aslo known as “Societa Cattolica Pugliese di Beneficenza”, was founded in 1936 as part of the St. Peter’s Italian Church. The San Trifone Society is made up of members who are devoted to San Trifone. Many of them are immigrants or their descendants from Adelfia Montrone, in the province of Bari, Italy.

The purpose of the Society is to celebrate the Feast of San Trifone, the patron saint of their hometown, Montrone where the life of San Trifone is celebrated with a feast on November 10 of each year, the day commemorating his wrongful death in 250 AD. San Trifone devoted all of his time and energy to strengthening the faith of Christians. He suffered a torturous death as a result of his Christian beliefs. The members of the San Trifone Society are deeply devoted to their saint and are committed to keeping their tradition alive in their homeland. The San Trifone Society honors San Trifone with a feast on the closest Sunday to November 10. It begins with a Mass at St. Peter’s Italian Church followed by the procession where the statue of San Trifone is carried by devoted to the saint. The celebration continues with a dinner dance at Casa Italiana attended by more than five hundred people.

This celebration is just one of the rich Italian traditions being preserved for our children and grandchildren at St. Peter’s Italian Church. The members of the San Trifone are proud of their tradition and grateful to Saint Peter’s Church where it is kept alive.

Santa Lucia Society ~ Los Angeles

St. Lucy was born of noble Greek parentage in Siracusa, Sicily, and raised as a Christian by her mother, Eutychia, during the period of brutal Christian persecution. Though Lucy wished to dedicate herself to God, Eutychia arranged for her marriage to a young pagan.

One day, however, the mother, who suffered from hemorrhage, was persuaded to make a pilgrimage to Catania to offer prayers at the tomb of Sr. Agatha. St. Lucy made known to Eutychia her desire to give her own share of their fortune to the poor and devote herself to God’s service. In gratitude for her cure, Eutychia agreed.

But this so angered the young man to whom Lucy had been unwillingly betrothed that he denounced her as a Christian to the governor, Paschius. The persecutions instituted by the Emperor Diocletian were then at their height, and when St. Lucy steadfastly clung to her faith, she was sentenced to prostitution in a brothel. However, God rendered her immovable and the officers were not able to carry her off to the place of evil. An attempt was made to burn her, but burning oil and pitch had no power to hurt her or break her strong spirit. At last she was finally put to death by the sword.

The saint’s relics are venerated at Venice and at Bourges, France. She is the patroness of Siracusa; her emblems are a cord and eyes. The feast of Santa Lucia was celebrated annually December 13 under the auspices of the Holy Name Society, who endeavor to improve their spiritual life with the practice of religion and in particular with the reception of Holy Communion every month.

The Santa Lucia Society, since 1993, has become an independent society to carry forward the Italian traditions and to help St. Peter’s Italian Church and other charitable organizations.

Missionaries of St. Charles_Scalabrinians ~ Los Angeles

The Congregation of the Missionaries of St. Charles – Scalabrinians – is an international community of religious serving migrants and refugees of different cultures, religions and ethnicities in 32 countries and on five continents. The Congregation was founded on November 28, 1887, by Blessed John Baptist Scalabrini (1839-1905), bishop of Piacenza (Italy). It was the period of massive emigration from Italy and Europe toward the Americas. It was a far-reaching phenomenon whose importance Bishop Scalabrini was able to grasp in both its social and religious dimensions.

Our province is located in four countries (USA, Canada, Mexico and Guatemala). The provincial office is in Oak Park, Illinois located just outside Chicago. Our membership comes from 13 countries.

Our missionary focus for the last twenty-five years has been to be migrants with the migrants and to be in mission with people on the move along with a special priority for the poorest migrants. What has become very obvious is that as we have taken more missionary risks and made an effort to clarify our Charism we have been blessed with more and more vocations. The blessing is doubled by the fact that we are currently receiving the vocations that match our present need.

St. Anthony Society ~ Los Angeles

The St. Anthony Society was established at St. Peter’s Italian Church in February of 1939 to celebrate the annual feast of St. Anthony. For 65 years the society has carried on the tradition of its founders. The society’s legacy has been carried out to the present days by current president Johnny Angiuli.

Origional founders: Bernice Potrelli, the society’s first president; Jennie De Santis; Mary Smaldino; Amalia Mance; Palma Amato; Mary Monteleone; Gioiella Lotito; Assunta Ferrante; Emilia Busco; Anna Nicasio; Angela Bruno; and Pascual Frontino.

Today, the St. Anthony Society meets monthly at Casa Italiana in order to keep alive the traditions of years past. The society’s goals are to maintain and preserve our faith in God through the intercession of St. Anthony, bring together Italians and other ethnic nationalities to pray together, carry on tradition and enjoy festive gatherings, and to assist in the support St. Peter’s Italian Church and its outreach program that extend services to the poor, including the St. Anthony Orphanage at the Basilica of St. Anthony in Padua.

St. Peter’s Italian Church ~ Los Angeles

St. Peter’s Parish is over 100 years old and continues to be united to the people that, determined to keep their Faith and traditions from Italy, built one church after another and kept their faith and that of their children alive until the present day.

Though scattered far and wide in Southern California and beyond, St. Peter’s forms one family of believers with sacred ties to the Church of St. Peter’s, where our ancestors were welcomed into the faith through baptism, had their marriages blessed and from where they were buried.

Today, in the same church, we still baptize our children, have the weddings of our sons and daughters blessed, and give our last farewell in the Lord to our departed. This is the church where we still gather in special moments to honor and celebrate our Patron Saints, carrying their images in solemn procession, to express our common faith.

Every Sunday at the Masses we rediscover our identity and rededicate ourselves to keep the faith of our fathers alive and strong.

Here, across the open expanse that used to be the railroad yard, against the dark backdrop of Chavez Ravine Hill and in the glowing sky of a setting sun, stands the church, in its unmistakable half classical, half California mission style.

St. Peter’s Church has played a great role and still plays an essential role in the life of our Italian and Italian-American community. For more than one hundred years, it has stood as a rallying point for thousand of believers, it united them in the same Faith, it comforted them in their struggles; it rejoiced with their successes and helped them along tough times.

Though small in size, it is great in spirit and fertile in spiritual achievements. It has united the Italian and Italian-American community as no other entity has. It has preserved the faith and spiritual traditions of its people and led them to prominent and noble accomplishments.

St. Peter’s Mass Schedule:
Saturdays: 6:00 pm in English
Sundays: 9:30 am in English, 11:00am in Italian, 6:00 pm in English
Weekdays: 6:00 pm in English (No Mass on Monday)

Confessions: Saturday: 5:00-6:00 pm (English, Italian, Spanish) or by appointment
Adoration: every Thursday after 6:00 pm